Monday, April 20, 2009

Me, a rapper?

Though I don't look at myself as being a rapper, I don't have a problem with those who choose to classify me as one. I prefer to look at myself as someone who is gifted with word expression and making music. For my music has no specific genre and my words are a form of advanced poetry and extreme thoughts. That is why I can make anything from poems to raps to songs to movie scripts. If words and a process of thought is involved than I more than capable of creating beyond expectations.
Why are people surprised when they first realize that I can rap and do so extremely well? Maybe it is because I choose not to speak like I've just gotten out of prison or like I only had an education up to the 6th grade. Or maybe it is because I don't wear the ass of my pants down to the back of my knees or walk like a pimp with a sore leg.
Some say image is everything. Lol, the good ol' American blind fold. Like them $200 dollar pair of jumpers that all the (cool) people are wearing. Or the platinum and gold jewelery that is almost seems essential to being a rap artist. Not that I can't afford those things. I'd just rather use my money for more meaningful things and focus less on the materialistic.
I see all too often the use of image as a tool for many to get over as being rappers, but underneath all the fabrication I also see a great lacking in the skills department. I think today's rappers are totally different from the breed of mc's I come from. Today's artist seems to rely on their music to cloak most of the crap that they pass of as lyrics and image to seal the deal. Hey, if that is what works for some then I say go for it. It is cool for them, but not to be expected of me. Though music will always be an opinion as far as to what sounds good to who, I will always deliver lyrics that are nothing less than top notch. Not simply gibberish to ride along with a nice beat. You may if you will call me a rapper, but wordsmith would be much more appropriate.

Rebel XD

No comments: